Yes, it’s true – my parents, sister, and her boyfriend are in town this weekend! I’ll spare you a bunch of family photos and only post this one from a lovely wine and cheese hour that I had with my parents at Cafe Zenon in Eugene.
So where are we eating, you ask? So far, we’ve hit up Bistro Du Coin, and we have reservations at The Tabard Inn for tonight (I love that place). I’ll be taking them by my favorite happy hour spot in the city (no, I’m not telling you where, lest it get too popular), and we’ll definitely be going to 2Amys at some point. I haven’t quite planned out where we’ll be eating during the entire week they’ll be here – I guess those places will just be happy little surprises along the way.
Recipes I want to try from this week’s Internet adventures:
- Thanks to commenter Phil, who turned me on to Jeni’ s Splendid Ice Creams in Ohio. No, they don’t post recipes, but damn it if I’m not going to figure out how to make goat cheese ice cream with roasted red cherries.
- The District Domestic makes peanut butter brownie cups. Sweet mother of God I want to eat one of those.
- Gradually Greener makes a BLT salad. Yum.
- The Bitten Word makes flourless chocolate cookies. I wonder if they taste better than my flourless chocolate cupcakes.
And in other news:
- You may know him as Young and Hungry’s Beerspotter, but did you know that Orr Shtuhl also makes cocktails? He created six custom cocktails for “Spice,” a party at Warehouse (1021 7th St., NW) this Saturday. The Washingtonian has the lowdown.
- The Arugula Files is considering going as Julia Child for Halloween. I support this idea. She also reports that the “chicken with butter sauce” dish from Mastering The Art of French Cooking is “scrumptious.”
- Tim Carman slams upscale Dean and Deluca “Oreos” on Young and Hungry. I contend that comparing artisan sandwich cookies to scientifically engineered Oreos is like comparing cats and dogs – they’re so different it’s a pointless enterprise.
- The Tipsy Baker documents an epic cake fail. Dude. I have so been there.
- Rose Levy Beranbaum’s new book, Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, is officially published! How much do I want this?
- The Internet Food Association looks at an unexpected side effect of the recession: less candy for Trick-or-Treaters.
- The Mansion Mogul features Art of the Day. Check out the amazing paper pieces.