Tonight: lots of baking, frosting making, and whoopie pie and cupcake assembling.
Tomorrow: Food Blogger Bakesale and Halloween parties.
Sunday: Singing, cleaning, and possibly collapsing.
For those of you who weighed in on my search for a perfect/doable Halloween costume – many thanks. I finally made my final selection, based on your ideas, laziness, and my current obsession with Mad Men. I loved Meg’s idea of being Lucille Ball, but that costume would take a little bit too much work to put together. Instead, I’m going to be a generic, tortured 1950s housewife. I have a full skirted 50′s style dress that I’ll pair with an apron and pearls, and I intend to walk around with a large bottle marked “Valium” and a martini glass. Hopefully people will get it. If I really get it together, I might hand out these (even if it might be fake, the sentiment rings true).
So now that you’ve heard about my fabulous Halloween plans, I’d love to hear yours. Any creative costume ideas you’re dying to share? Any great parties you want to brag about? Any Halloween-themed food you’re going to be making? Please share!
And now, onto the roundup. Recipes I want to try, as found on my RSS reader:
- Barbecued chicken meatloaf, from Lemmonex (this looks perfect for lunches).
- Fig and honey tart from Serious Eats.
- Fig candy from Gradually Greener.
- Applesauce cake, from Measured Memory.
- Braised kale with farro and Gruyere and Parmesan from The Arugula Files (part of her experiment to actually like kale).
And in other news:
- This tale of cupcake woe over at Sassy Radish, who recently made four dozen cupcakes for a friend’s wedding, is possibly my favorite thing I read all week. Anyone who’s had to make a large batch of any baked good in a home kitchen will sympathize – the batter is too big for your mixer, the frosting is impossible to pipe, etc. Haven’t we all had those days when we’ve been a tad overambitious in the kitchen?
- The Black Rooster, a local dive bar, isn’t closing after all. Via Young and Hungry.
- The Washington Post has a much-needed primer on making stock.
- I cannot wait to find out the results of The Tipsy Baker’s onion ring challenge, which pits homemade onion rings against Burger King’s.
- I love the candy corn street art, from the Mansion Mogul.
- Behold this beautiful pumpkin cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.
Happy Friday! And Happy (early) Halloween!